Y.O.L.O, aka 'You only live once'
This may come across to you as insane but for those who know me well(or unwell) im sure it wont be so unusual............. Woke up this morning and thought to myself 'yolo' and then wondered how far this new found patter could be permeated into my psyche. I usually feel like shit in the morning but this morning 'yolo' seemed to be doing it for me; I was absorbing its essence and meaning into my own character. I left for work with a spring in my step because of it, happy as fuck under the bright Autumn sun as I walked along the path outside my house which was today decorated in a plethora of golden brown and yellow crispy leaves. As I walk along the path 'yolo' encompasses my whole sense of being; a euphoria which makes me feel that everything I do is going to be for the first and last time and I should therefore relish each moment free of any worry or hang ups. Its fair to say that I was experiencing 'the yolo effect'. Crossing the first road I come to I see a car coming towards me and as im coming up on my 'yolo' buzz the first thing my brain and body wants to do is jump into the air and through the windscreen of this moving car, karate kick style. When I was younger I had the pleasure of putting a brick though a large television screen which had been dumped by the roadside on the outskirts of my town, so the sensation of popping a large glass bubble is one I recall with much fondness and can imagine that a car windscreen would feel much the same.
But here lies the problem with 'yolo'........... we do not know how far we can go with it........ Of course there's something morally wrong about jumping through a moving car's windscreen feet first, but in all honesty it was a sensation that my senses could justify amidst the realization that 'you only live once'.... Its violent, its destructive I know but I am certain I would have remained smiling throughout.
I was never gonna do it though........ because my moral framework was keeping me in check and of course so were the consequences and of course this all seems silly doesn't it :). It does however make me realize how far into our psyche the attitude laden slogans of popular culture can permeate into how we think about things and how this can influence our behavior, influencing how we think we are and what we think we can do.
How far do we go with 'yolo'? You cant deny that its nice and seems to encourage a positive state of mind with no reservations but does it not just give us an excuse to vent our madness free of morals?, 'try anything once' is another recommended attitude which is not far off the 'yolo' state of being, but if we tried anything once im sure we'd all be dead. Yolo x
[ps. the above image is taken from a web gallery entitled "40 Inspiring YOLO Tattoos" available at: http://www.complex.com/art-design/2012/05/gallery-40-inspiring-yolo-tattoos],

No comments:
Post a Comment