There's a program on on ITV 1 daytime called 'Crime Stories' that I was first made aware of about two weeks ago. I was taking some time out from applying for jobs and decided to take a trip downstairs to the living room to sit with my mum and have a cup of tea and read the days paper. As I read my attention was broken as my mum voluntarily announced "that's that boiy(Glasgow slang for boy/young male human) from emmerdale"
Alerting me, I was immediately drawn to the television, looking towards it critically as I often did to see what pish my mum was wasting her eyes on..............I looked at the screen, began to take in what I was seeing and confusion set in. I was baffled.
I asked as i often did "whats that your watching?"........and
she replied"crime Stories". And as I further attempted
to digest what i was seeing....................on screen a young man was
being questioned by police in a custody room, and
i vaguely recognized him as some actor from Emmerdale.
However to confuse matters a narrator at this point began to explain in a
genuine and authoritive manner the reason as to why this young man was
being held in police custody. This was narrated in a style very similar to that
done on real life crime documentaries such as 'police camera action'. At this
point I couldn't work out whether this program was reality
crime ( in the same vein as shows like 'Police, Camera, Action')
or drama due to the bizarre mixture of both that it was
conveying....a real actor being filmed in actual custody for an actual crime,
surely not?
So to make this clear to you, the people who have made this show have made a fictional crime drama, which they make look real by filming, structuring, editing and narrating it as if it was a reality television program but admit from the opening credits that none of this is real or based on any truth...............so why bother making the fucking thing..........I just don't get it!
I know people like a bit of drama, but they pointlessly try and
integrate elements of reality tv…it doesn't work and I cant
understand how anybody could give this program the go ahead!
My question to the producers of this show is this: "Whats the
point in using a reality television format if your not even pretending its
real?"
Further, people enjoy reality television because of the
consequences experienced by those who are taking part in the reality
experiment (tv show). This show contains no reality, so why does the format,
production, editing and narrating suggest that it is real but yet does not hide
that it is not?
Now I wouldn't like to think anybody would think im
being a smart arse here but I honestly at any point or turn within my own
psyche cannot conclude as to why this format could be accepted by any qualified
person as a good idea. I have even wondered if Chris Morris
or Armando Ianucci planted this seed on the ITV for a laugh .Unlike
their successful sojourns into television, this program however only
contains half the integrity of satire.......... you know the weird bit without
it being funny?
If people think ITV's Crime Stories is perfectly acceptable then we may soon well be heading for
this level of pointlessness.............
.
No comments:
Post a Comment